Sunday, August 10, 2008

Grandma Honey


As you may or may not know, Stephen and I moved from our less than desirable house on the undeveloped East side of Athens to a gorgeous, "apartment home" complex on the very developed West side of Athens. I LOVE this apartment. Anyway, we've been here about three weeks and finally starting to get rid of the mountains of boxes that had been plaguing us forever.


Last night I was going through "decorations" changing out old pictures for newer ones in frames, finding a nice place to display the wedding album, etc. when I came across a book my grandma had written about 12 years ago.


This isn't like a published work or anything, it's just a spiral bound book that my Grandma put together at the request of one of my aunts. it details her life growing up and talks a great deal about her life with my Granddad and raising 8 kids. She started writing this is '95 I believe, so I think it's amazing in the first place what she could recall after 70-ish years. The detail is impeccable; dates, maiden names of people who married into the family, relationships with neighbors throughout the world that she still corresponds with.... all there.


I can't lie. I've always thought my Grandma was amazing. My Granddad died when I was four and since my Grandma was alone in her house, I used to spend every weekend with her until she moved in '95. We'd have great times during our girl's nights. She taught me how to bake, sew, and most of all be kind and helpful to others. We were always going out on Saturdays to volunteer or help at church.


She taught me so many things and even in her writings she's constantly showing me how to live a life that is meaningful and full of Christ's Love. We had some rough patches when I got married because we didn't marry Catholic, but she still managed to look past it and love me through it. I love her so much and look up to her.


She's great.


No comments: