Sunday, September 4, 2011

Two Years Later....

 I feel as though no one is really that out of the loop when it comes to the Wagners. Through luck or by the grace of God, we've had the opportunity to come in contact with most if not all of our precious friends these past two years. I'll say it again and again, we are SO blessed with amazing friends and family who have supported and loved us through two years of transitions and changes. In order to catch this blog up, I will attempt to bullet the last two years with pictures and words.


  • May - August 2009 Athens, GA: Stephen continued to work at Copper Creek Brewing Company and I had the excellent fortune of working at a summer day camp for children with developmental disabilities called Extra Special People. An amazing opportunity and growing experience that added to my future knowledge as a Child Life Specialist. 
ESP kiddos and me

We also had wonderful visitors including Stephen's parents and our bestie Drew for his annual 4th of July visit. The boys had an excellent time and we even met the ever elusive Michael Stipe at a bar in downtown Athens.
Drew & Stephen, the morning after July 4

Epic night where we met Michael Stipe


  • August 2009 - December 2009 Dallas, TX & Athens, GA: In August, Stephen and I celebrated 2 years of marriage in Charleston, SC. I had accepted an internship at Children's Medical Center Dallas and began my training to become a Certified Child Life Specialist....which meant moving to Dallas and living with my wonderful Grandma for 3 months. This also meant Stephen and I would spend 3 months apart; he had to keep working so we wouldn't drown in debt so that meant separate houses for a while. I won't lie, as exciting a time as it was for me professionally, it was stressful, frustrating, and sad for both of us. We spent several trips going back and forth between Dallas and Athens to ease the burden and so I could complete my thesis in the hopes of graduating in December 2009. As hard as it was, I feel so thankful to have had such a supportive and selfless husband willing to sacrifice a LOT to help me achieve my goals. 


Anniversary in Charleston

Halloween at Children's Dallas
Dallas Family Fun


  • December 2009 - March 2010 Athens, GA: I completed my internship in Dallas and moved quickly back to Athens to graduate with my Masters in Child and Family Development from the University of Georgia. Unfortunately, things didn't magically fall into place for us and we began a very difficult 6 month journey in which we lived in an extended stay motel for 3 months in Athens. We were hopeful I would get a job and didn't want to be tied down by a lease so 3 long months were spent with only a bed, bathroom and kitchenette separating Stephen and I. Stephen continued working at Copper Creek while I applied/interviewed for positions all over the country, substituted at the Child Development Lab at UGA, and helped on some research with a former professor of mine. 
Graduation with my Major Professor and Mentor Charlie
So glad to be done!

Trying to make Inn Town Suites fun

Some found it harder than others...

Wicked snowfall in GA

  •  March 2010 - May 2010 El Paso, TX: We had hit a slump and weren't sure what to do. I still hadn't found a job and the Inn Town Suites was getting smaller every day. Stephen's parents suggested we move home to El Paso and regroup. We were so ready for a change we up and left Athens after three years! While at home we rested, spent LOTS of quality time with both our families, and even bought a new car! This trip home really raised our spirits and helped us get out of our slump...
Our first glimpse of TX sky

Stella enjoys Grandma & Grandpa Wagner's Pool

Stephen at the Races in NM

New Car Face!

New Car Owner

  • May 2010 El Paso, Austin, then on to our new home Gainesville, FL: May 2010 was CRAZY for us! I finally secured my first job as a Child Life Specialist at Shands Children's Hospital in Gainesville, FL. At the same time, Stephen's family had planned to have a reunion in conjunction with his nephew David's graduation from TAMU. So... we did it all! Stephen and I made the road trip to Austin/College Station for the reunion/graduation and proceeded on to our new home in Gainesville, FL home of the UF Gator nation.
Stephen and David at Graduation

Wagner Family Reunion 

Welcome to Sunny Florida!
  • May 2010 - May 2011 Gainesville, FL: We began to settle in and learn the newest SEC city we were inhabiting. We lived in an apartment complex that mimicked a little community with a store, restaurant, gym, etc in it. Stephen eventually took a job at the restaurant below our apt and moved into a management position. I began to navigate my first year as a child life specialist. It was very difficult for me, because although I had tremendous support from my colleagues, I found the hospital environment to be very different then any of my previous experiences. Respect for my position was very hard to find and the children/teens I was working with were severely lacking in concrete and psychosocial resources. I worked really hard to develop relationships with staff and most importantly with my patients and families. Meanwhile, Stephen and I struggled to create friendships, find a church home, and adapt to the culture of a small college town such as Gainesville. Although we had said many a time that we disliked Athens, after three years it became home to us and we found a niche with friends that made the experience worthwhile. We told ourselves that it would take time in Gainesville to do the same and we attempted patience and leaned on each other for support and comfort. 
My first "real" job
Redneck 4th of July

Complete with a Drew visit

Halloween at Shands with the Child Life Staff

New TV November!

Bringing TX to FL

Happy Holidays from the Wagners

Poster Presentation about Child Life at Shands

As the year wore on, Stephen and I were still unsure of what to do about Gainesville. We had wanted so badly to commit to a location, stop moving for a while and just be...however, we never know what's on the road ahead and I one day randomly saw a post for position open in Houston at MD Anderson. The institution is highly regarded for its work with all kinds of cancer and the child life program is held in high esteem as well. I didn't really think I had a shot, but applied anyway. A month after applying I was offered a position and Stephen and I again found ourselves on the move!

  • June 2011 to now Houston, TX: In May/June we moved to Houston and with the help of an apartment locator found a home in the West U/Upper Kirby area. Stephen started working/managing at the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in downtown Houston and I began my new role as a Certified Child Life Specialist for MD Anderson's Proton Therapy Center. So far, we have been exceedingly blessed with excellent work environments, co-workers, and many, many visitors in our brief time here. 
New Job, New Badge
Trying on the mask my kids at work wear
Houston Beer Fest


Cruise July 2011

Happy Cruise faces



Looking back, it's amazing to see the adventures we've had in two short years. We've endured hardships, but have also learned valuable lessons that we hope to carry with us on this next phase of our journey. We are so grateful for every person, place, and thing that has touched our lives in a unique and profound way during our time in Georgia, Florida, and Texas. I can see now that these experiences were a form of preparation for the next great adventure ahead of us.

No comments: